Career Opportunity – Director of Diabetes Center
Qatar Biomedical Research Institute (QBRI) is a national research institute within Hamad bin Khalifa University. As a national research institute, QBRI aims to improve and transform healthcare through innovation in prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases affecting the Qatari population and the region. As a disease-focused institute, QBRI concentrates on applying integrative and multidisciplinary approaches to provide novel insights into the molecular basis of breast cancer, diabetes and neurological disorders, and the development of novel diagnostic and therapeutic strategies to facilitate early diagnosis, treatment and management of these devastating diseases towards improving personalized medicine and healthcare. QBRI has plans to occupy state-of-the-art life sciences laboratories in a newly established research campus that is due to open in 2017.
Hamad bin Khalifa University, a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development, is a research university located within Education City in Doha, Qatar.
Building on existing strengths, QBRI is committed to developing a center of excellence in diabetes with an emphasis on studying the genetic and environmental determinants underlying diabetes and its complications; and identifying predictive markers and novel therapies.
Director of Diabetes Center
To fulfill its mission, QBRI invites applications for a scientific leadership post responsible for setting strategy and driving research activities in diabetes and having the freedom to pursue research they deem important. The research team will have outstanding, scientific resources and generous funding opportunities amidst existing expertise in signaling pathways and insulin resistance. The position offers ample opportunities for interaction and collaboration with national; regional and international universities; research institutes; clinical entities and other organizations.
Success is measured as real-world impact through tangible output of high impact publications; scientific interactions and collaborations; and patents.
- Plan, build and manage a comprehensive center that will grow to ~50 researchers across a variety of disciplines
- Set the research agenda, develop a strategic plan, establish budgets, explore options, gain consensus, and ultimately execute said research
- Recruit a team of world-class researchers, leveraging one’s professional network
- A PhD in the relevant field and at least 10 to 15 years of leadership experience in public and/or private research institutions of significant scale
- A known, influential entity in his/her field with a vision of how to create, grow and nurture a world-class research center
- Excellent and effective communication, management and organizational skills
- A demonstrated ability to work in a team/matrix environment
How to apply?
Please submit your complete application (a copy of curriculum vitae, a research statement, a teaching philosophy statement, publications list, and reprints of the 5 most relevant publications, as well as the names and contacts of a minimum of three references) through the HBKU website: https://hbku.wufoo.com/forms/w19msafp0nl4byb/
Completed applications will be reviewed and interviews will be arranged with selected candidates on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Hamad bin Khalifa University is an Equal Opportunity educator and employer. We are committed to maintaining a culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.